This recipe, I will admit, came to me in a dream.
About a month ago, I envisioned this recipe when we didn’t have too much in the pantry and the corn tortillas were rather inspiring. It is so delicious and I knew that I had to make it for my Mr. Land. I hope you make it too. Just remember to add a big dollop of sour cream on top. You’ll thank me later.
Mexican Lasagna 8in. square pan
- 15- 20 corn tortillas
- 2lbs ground beef
- taco sauce
- 8oz cheddar cheese
- small onion
- half bell pepper
- large tomato
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained
- hot sauce, optional
- Brown beef in a deep skillet. Season with salt, pepper, adobo and sazon. Add diced onions, peppers and tomatoes. Allow to cook down. Add 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
- In a sauce pan, on medium heat, simmer black beans with 1/2 cup tomato sauce, cilantro, salt and a couple dashes of hot sauce.
- Mash the beans until a creamy paste.
- Oil pan liberally. Cut 4 tortillas and place straight edges along the sides of the pan, setting a whole tortilla to fill space in the center. I recommend a double layer on the base, but that’s optional.
- Layer taco sauce, 1/3 of cheese, half of meat and all the refried beans. Place another layer of tortillas, taco sauce, rest of meat and part of the cheese.
- Place final layer of tortillas, taco sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 375F for 30mins or until top layer of tortillas are golden on the edges and inside mixture is bubbling.
- Allow to rest for 5-10minutes before slicing.